Wednesday, May 9, 2012

4.27.2012 Whistler

Whistler at last!

There was about 3.5 hours of free time so I decided to try one of the shorter trails (just a little under 10k roundtrip) up to Rainbow Park as suggested by the Info Centre.



It was great weather for a walk, during which I bumped into this little guy here (Left.)

A Steller's Jay, according to Google.


 

Alta Lake and Rainbow Park.

On the way back, an accidentally detour led me to this salmon-inspired artwork (?) I love bumping into things like this.


The way back to the village. There were some really nice (and I'm sure, expensive) houses along the way.


I was starving by the time the village was in sight so I ducked into a random shop and ordered this - German cheeseburger. Not sure what made it German (the cheese?) but it tasted awesome (it should, it was pretty pricey for just a burger.)

I still had an hour so I decided to check out the rest of the village. A lot of young people with their skis/boards (don't these people have school???)

The bridge just before the village square is decorated with all sorts of bronze items (geometric shapes, animal skulls, telescope, etc...) Not exactly sure the significance since I couldn't find any information on it, but it does look very cool. Almost as if someone pillaged Da Vinci's studio and installed the stolen items on the bridge.

For the Olympic fans.

Somehow I looped all the way to the parking lot. And behind the parking lot was... a stream!

Skunk lilies, an apparent favourite among the black bear population. I came across many of these on my walk, but alas, no bears.






Village troll indeed.

Full Disclosure: The tour wasn't a full-on 10 hour guide as advertised. The drive back to Vancouver was really quiet, which I actually appreciated since half the people were asleep (myself included.)

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful scenery! All that's needed is a castle in the distance.

    "but alas, no bears"?!? I don't want to go camping with you anymore.

    ReplyDelete