Sunday, May 6, 2012

4.24.2012 Victoria (Part III) Craigdorrach Castle

Craigdarroch, Gaelic for "rocky, oaky place."

I had some trouble finding the castle at first. It was farther than the map let on and I was exhausted from the impromptu adventure at the beach. 
On the way to the castle, I came across this neat little road sign in the pavement.  
Ah ha! I must be getting close now. Just look at them stoic-looking gates.







It's no Casa Loma, but impressive all the same.

The servants' entrance, perhaps?

One of the very first things to do in the lobby is to look up. You can see the entire staircase spiraling upwards. Very cool. 

It's an entirely self-guided tour, which works out pretty well, since the castle rooms are not quite spacious enough for large groups of people.
The lobby fireplace with the inscription, "Welcome ever smiles and farewell goes out sighing" (Shakespeare, Troilus and Cressida.)

I like that. It's a sweet sentiment.

Unfortunately, the Dunsmuir family who built the castle only lived there for 18 years after which it was sold (actually, no one wanted it and it had to be raffled off to people who purchased parts of the estate land.)

The family patriarch didn't even live to see the castle completed.

Look at all the thimbles. Such a strange collection to be housed in the library.

I wonder if the person whose collection it is actually sewed with them.





Not sure what the deal is with the taxidermied birds in the Drawing Room. Talk about spooky. The fact that there is very little natural light in the castle makes it even spookier.








Wow.

A flower wreath made entirely out of ribbons and lace (or what I sincerely hope is lace.)







This washroom is from when the castle operated as a military hospital in 1919.

I really wanted to see one of the original Dunsmuir bathrooms. Unfortunately, it's currently functioning as the men's washroom and I'm sure people would have made a big fuss if I barged in and started taking photos. 


Various bedrooms.


"This 1879 Steinway piano is reserved for the visitor who has musical training and can play music that will be enjoyed by others in the Castle."

So much better than the normal "DO NOT TOUCH" signage.
The Tower. 
 

The view from the Tower.


The servant's room. That's one kick ass-looking sewing machine.

Right: What Mrs. Dunsmuir expected of her maid.


You know I can't resist a good scale model, especially one as detailed as this.











The Breakfast Room.

Fancy. A room just for breakfast. I supposed if the breakfast is that delicious, it deserves an own room of its own.





Chinatown.

I almost didn't make it to Chinatown. I only had about 40 minutes left so I half-speed walked, half-ran to Chinatown, walked through Fan Tan Alley, the narrowest street in Canada, and proceeded straight towards the bus stop. Made it with 10 minutes to spare. My legs were killing me afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment