Saturday, May 5, 2012

4.23.2012 Vancouver Day 1.5 Stanley Park

Walking from the train station, I noticed a few leaf patterns on the sidewalk pavement. At first, I thought it was just imprints left by fallen leaves. Upon a close look, someone had actually taken the time and energy to stamp various leaf patterns into the cement while it was still wet.

And they are everywhere. Usually found by a tree, these stencils can be seen all over downtown Vancouver

Who's behind this???

Is it a government-sponsored beautification initiative or some underground art movement?? (I hope it's the latter.)

Either way, I like it. It brings a sense of whimsy and fun to the otherwise dull-looking sidewalk.

Anyways, walked down Davie Street, rented myself a bike, and headed towards Stanley Park.

Yes, that is my camera balanced on the bike seat.

Riding down Bridle path, I had to stop so many times just to admire the trees (and also, to catch my breath.)

The trees were just unbelievably amazing. This is probably crazy on my part, but I felt as if the trees held the answer to life and the universe. (And no, it's not "42.") 
  

This duck wouldn't stop staring at me. (Full disclosure: Due to dehydration, I might have been slightly paranoid at this point. But I swear it did stare at me for at least a solid five minutes.)

Moving on....
Prospect Point.

Gives you a great view of the Lions Gate Bridge and across Burrard's Inlet.

From Prospect Point, I took a wrong turn and accidentally got on the Causeway that bisects Stanley Park.

Left: The beginning of the aforementioned Lions Gate Bridge.

Let me just state that I have never seen cyclists ride that fast with car traffic so close. One slip, and it would have been "adios, amigo."

I rode the Causeway almost all the way to the Rose Garden before I found a side trail that led to the Seawall.

Judging by the size of the gardens, summers at Stanley Park should be a pretty spectacular sight.


Views along the Seawall.
 
 

One of the beach floors was covered entirely with mollusks, even the steps leading down to the beach were covered with the tiny shelled organisms.

I may have killed a few trying to snap this picture. Sorry!






A nice, sandy beach. Perfect for a small break.

Don't the guys in the photo look like they're from an Abercrombie&Fitch commercial?
And that's that. A solid ending to a solid day.
 

1 comment: