Tuesday, May 8, 2012

4.26.2012 Vancouver Day 3 Capilano Suspension Bridge

Admission was pricier than anticipated but it's one of those sightseeing must-dos (or so I've been told.)

Even though there's a free shuttle, I took the transit just so I could be at the doors right at 9 am. The people working there must have thought I was certifiably insane especially since I was waiting in the rain, alone.

Over lunch, GT had told me about the little certificate one gets upon completion of certain stops in the park. Once I heard that it involved stamps, I was in.

I'm so glad they provided biodegradable rain ponchos. There was simply no way I was going to be able to hold on to my umbrella and the railing of the bridge and simultaneously take pictures. It just wasn't going to happen, even with my amazing multi-tasking skills.
  
The Main Event.

Walking on the bridge wasn't too bad. It wasn't until I stopped to take a photo that I felt the undulation and had a small moment of panic. Yes, I have a problem with heights. Admitting the problem is the first step towards recovery (but in this case, I don't think it's working.)

This photo is the final result of many a failed attempts.  Looking good, feet!

The view from the suspension bridge.

Yes. I've safely arrived on the other side. For some reason, the bridge looks even more daunting from this angle.

 
Just imagine how old this tree must be to have grown to this size. The oldest red cedar in Western Canada is over 2500 years old!!!! Twenty-five centuries. And considering that we're only in the twenty-first century, that's a pretty mean feat, to have survived this long.
                                              

Views from the park.

Treetop Adventure.

This was pretty fun. You get to walk in the canopy from tree to tree via suspension bridges. This may sound crazy coming from an acrophobe, but I kind of wish the bridges were sightly higher up in the trees, just beneath the branches.




The last stamp: CliffWalk. I think I'm going to throw up.


"I'm going to slip on the plank, fall to my death (or more likely, have a heart attack), and no one will know." (4.26.2012, Me at Vancouver Capilano CliffWalk, British Columbia.)



 

Testing the structural integrity of the glass floor with my foot.

Don't look down. Don't look down. Don't look down. Crap.

Victory! Got the last stamp. Now that certificate will be mine. Muhahahaha! (Can't believe I'm getting so excited over a piece of paper.)

The Park Map: Before and After 
(gah! As much as I wished to keep it as a souvenir, the map was getting too mushy to carry by this point.)
 

Woot! This is going on the corkboard.

Caught the noon shuttle bus just in time. Being the sole passenger, I had a nice chat with the driver whom suggested buying the aquarium ticket at the horse-carriage vendor. Slightly cheaper and you won't have to wait in line. Sweet! Thanks Mr. Shuttle Driver Man!

Here we are. Back at Stanley Park. 

The famous totem poles.

With all the totem poles I've seen so far, I'm surprised that dolphins are not part of the Haida mythology. It's a very curious thing because one would think that dolphin encounters should be as frequent (if not more so) as killer whale encounters. Hmmm... just random musings on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment