Saturday, April 21, 2012

4.20.2012 First Night on the Train & Breakfast

Not going to lie. Sleeping on the train takes some getting used to. Not recommended for very light sleepers.

The movements and the sounds of the train are quite noticeable, not unlike that of a boat on turbulent waters. Securing your bags is of vital importance. I learned that the hard way when my backpack fell on me when the train was making a particularly hard turn, jolting me awake mid-sleep. Ahhh!

Once you get used to the rumblings and the motions, it's actually quite soothing. Either that, or I'm very sleep-deprived having been awake since 4 am.

Breakfast starts at 6:30am. It sounds early, but it really isn't when you consider the train's main client demography: retirees.

Here's the "official" menu off the ViaRail website (but it would appear that the menu does change from time to time):


I had the apple fritter French toast. Delicious. So delicious that I forgot to take a picture. One of the passengers at my table has been taking various train trips all over the world since 2002. He's been to Tibet, Australia, India, the States and is already planning a trip in Alaska!!! There are more than a few seasoned travelers on this train and they've been kind enough to point out the various small towns and stops. What's super amazing is that I've already met five people who either lives in, was born in, or worked in Kingston. Who would have thought?

1 comment:

  1. I could say something about Kingston right now but I'll just say how awesome your trip sounds so far, getting to eat yummy food and meet interesting people. Remember to take a photo next time though. That's an order!

    ReplyDelete