Monday, April 30, 2012

4.21.2012 Winnipeg (Part I)

There's a four hour stop at Winnipeg while the train changes crew and load up on fresh supplies. The train arrives at 8AM and departs at 12PM. A good chunk of time for some sightseeing. The fact that the train station is located right downtown certainly doesn't hurt. 

I had already mapped out all the sights I wanted to see. All in all, a 5k walk, which should give me plenty of time to explore. The sight I most wanted to see was the St. Boniface Cathedral and the Golden Boy.

Left: The view from the train as it's pulling into the station.

That building in the distance is the on-going and highly-controversial  Canadian Museum of Human Rights. Not exactly sure what the architect is trying to convey, but it sure looks like a witch's hat.

Right: The Esplanade Riel, which bridges across the Red River. I didn't get a chance to try the Salisbury House on the bridge, which is supposed to be a local dining institution. Next time.


From the bridge, you get a glimpse of Saint Boniface Cathedral, which was burned down in 1968, leaving only the stone shell intact.

It was so early in the morning that I pretty much had the place all to myself. It was majestic but hauntingly so.

A smaller church was rebuilt onsite, directly inside of the original. When you look straight down the pathway, the doors of the modern church lined up with the arches of the old church. Very very cool.

Near the church is the grave of Louis Riel. The great Metis hero. Of course I had to go and pay tribute, or rather, just gawk at it for the sake of all the grade school history memories.

The early morning walk along the Red River was eerily quiet. And of course, me being the crazy person that I am, I just had to touch the Red River for myself. And what did I have to show for it? Two very muddy shoes, a slightly wet sleeve, and an indescribable feeling of satisfaction. It may be a symptom of early onset OCD. You've been warned.



St. Boniface Cathedral again, from across the Red River. Very serene.

And finally, the point where the Red River and the Assiniboine River converge, hence the name The Forks.

No comments:

Post a Comment