Saturday, October 6, 2012

8.26.2012 Amsterdam (layover)

I had hoped (against hope) that my camera would be able to capture the night sky outside the window as we flew across the Atlantic Ocean. Alas, it was not to be.  

Since I've never flown trans-Atlantic before, I can't be sure whether it was just luck, pure and simple, or if the sky nearly always so clear and the stars so remarkably beautiful on this route. 

And every now and then, a patch of light decorate the dark abyss below, which I imagine to be from some quaint township or small village (please please please don't dash my fantasy and say it's likely from some nuclear facility or tree-cutting operation.) 

If this is what Santa sees on his yearly voyage, he is one lucky lucky guy (not counting that he has a personal elf army to do his bidding AND that he gets to eat cookies to his heart's content)

A is for... Amsterdam.

And it wouldn't be the Netherlands without some good ol'clogs. If you look closely, these clogs are new-and-improved. Made of felt, or rather some synthetic material, instead of wood. Anyways, they conform to your feet and not the other way around. If you've every tried to walk in traditional clogs (as I have), you would appreciate the soft, less restricting version.

Did you know that Amsterdam is known for diamonds? Because I certainly did not. Well, if you're ever in need of a good diamond at the Schipol Airport, just pop by one of the duty-free diamond stores. That is of course, if you have a couple of thousand dollars to spare.

Two thumbs up for the Schipol Airport, which I didn't really get to fully appreciate until the 5-hour layover (plus another three for delay) on the way home.

But for now, this is the only airport I've been to with a duty-free flower store. Yes, a flower store where you can buy flower bulbs. So surreal right?

I am so curious about how the whole thing works. I mean, if I did buy a pack of bulbs, would the Canadian customs allow the bulbs to enter the country? And if they wouldn't, what would be the point of having a duty-free flower shop at the airport?


Wifi at the Schipol Airport - You only get two 30-minute free sessions of wifi and you can't divide up the 30-minute session to use as you please, something I learned too late.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, so poetic! Yes, let's say they're townships and/or villages!

    I think Cdn customs would allow it. Doesn't Ottawa still have the tulip festival to honour that thing that happened that time?

    ReplyDelete