Monday, October 15, 2012

8.27.2012 Venice, Italy (Day 2)

First stop of the day: Ca D'Oro

Just imagine the palace in its glory days, covered with gilt, hence its name. It was owned by one of the most notable Venetian families, the Contarinis.
The museum entrance to Ca d'Oro is tucked away in a side alley (which was probably the servants' entrance). The admission is not covered by the museum pass but I think it is still worth a look, especially for art aficionados.

The enclosed balcony (the only part of the museum where photos are allowed).
I still can't stop gushing over the lattice masonry work. Does craftsmanship like this even exist anymore in this day and age?

And look at that view.
 

Day two in Venice was beautiful. And very very bright.  

Grazie again to Ubernerd for introducing me to the best sunglasses ever! They definitely saved my eyes from the severe glare over the canal. I'm almost sorry to say that they work too well; the polarized lenses made digital screens go dark.
 

This is probably one of those $2000-a-night hotels, complete with 600-count Egyptian cotton sheets, and its own private dock.

The fixtures inside are probably hundreds of years old. Even if I could afford stay there someday, I don't think I would be able to sleep a wink for fear of possibly damaging a priceless antique.

Never mind, al'mighty Google has revealed that this building is no hotel. Instead, it is the showroom of Rubelli Fabrics, a famous(?) company specializing in luxury textiles. Can you imagine working in buildings like this? I think I would skip to work each and every day.

A modern statue outside the Museum of Modern Art on the Grand Canal. I believe the museum changes the installation from season to season. One season was a giant, very cool-looking metal skull. I'm usually not a fan of modern art, but the statue did look pretty cool - Gladiator meets Grecian Discus-Thrower.

Ca Rezzonico
Ca d'Oro pales in comparison to this grande palace, so it was a good thing we visited Ca d'Oro first.

Ca Rezzonico's biggest advantage is that the main entrance IS the museum entrance, so you get the full "whoa!" effect as you enter the museum. Of course, it being about twice-thrice as large as Ca d'Oro doesn't hurt either.


We were really lucky to arrive just as a guided tour was starting. The tour guide was funny and very well informed, pointing out all the allegories and interesting bits of trivia in the frescoes. 
There is an art gallery on top floor with lovely Venetian paintings (Why oh why didn't I take an art history course back in college again?)

No photos are allowed inside the museum but I will say that the interior does offer a glimpse of the decadence Venice was so well-known for.

Doge's Palace - Bridge of Sighs (Ponte dei Sospiri) (Exterior)
On the way to the Basilica for our noon reservation, we passed by the Bridge of Sighs. This bridge connects the Doge's Palace to the prison (can you guess which building is which?)

The name of the bridge was given by Lord Byron (Thanks Wikipedia!) since it was said that prisoners would take one last look at Venice through the tiny windows and sigh as they walk towards the prison, never to see the light of day again (okay, so I added the "never to see the light of day" part. It's called having a dramatic flair people!)

Basilica di San Marco The line for the Basilica was insanely long. The Basilica itself is free but if you reserve ahead and pay the 1 euro reservation fee, you can skip hours of waiting.

Okay. Technically, there were "no photo" signs posted inside the Basilica. And I did stow my camera away. For the first 5 minutes. But as I looked around, EVERYONE was blatantly ignoring the "no photo" rule and the security guards seemed very nonchalant about the whole situation, I started snapping photos too. If it makes you feel better, I didn't use flash (hence some photos are really quite blurry). 

Note of advice: Rick Steve has a really good (and free!) audio-guide for the Basilica.

Basilica di San Marco - Pala d'Oro ("Golden Pall/Golden Cloth")
All I have to say is that it is a LOT more sparkly and shiny when you see it in person. 

A close-up of the Pala d'Oro.
If ever the Basilica is in financial trouble and needs a loan, all it needs to do is put this up as collateral. A cool few hundred million, easy.

More interior shots.


Look at the tiny stone throne and the tiny door. Hmm... intriguing...

Basilica di San Marco - the mosaic floor The floor of the Basilica is equally amazing. If I could kiss the mosaic floor (without looking like a lunatic), I would have. Think about the math that must have gone into the floor designs. So very very cool!


 

Unfortunately, I didn't get to go to the museum upstairs so I missed out on the famous bronze horses. I'm putting that on my "Venice-To Do" list for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment