Friday, October 12, 2012

8.26.2012 Venice, Italy (Day 1.5)

One of my favourite things in Venice is The Lion of Saint Mark, the symbol of the city. You can find the winged lion all over the city: statues, fountains, doorknobs, frescoes, mosaics... I try to keep an eye out for him at all times. Here he lies at the foot of an equestrian statue near Piazza San Marco.

No tourist destination would be complete with the ubiquitous souvenir kiosk. Surprisingly, I did not see any cute winged lion souvenirs. Merchants of Venice, you should probably get on that STAT!

Getting lost in the alleyways of Venice... (okay, we weren't really lost since I had my trusty map with me the whole time. There were simply a few moments of temporary confusion as to our current location.)

See that water fountain on the right? See the sprout? Hello again, Lion of Saint Mark! Cool eh? The water runs continuously and it's drinkable. I managed to sneak a sip while my family wasn't looking (because they would definitely not approve) and the water was quite good. Dare I say it, it tasted better than the tap water in the GTA.

 The Doge's Palace and the Bridge of Sighs.

 Piazza San Marco (St Mark's Square)

The Campanile of San Marco and the Clock Tower
I love the look of the clock tower (Hello again! Winged Lion). If you look carefully, you can see the zodiac signs around the clock face. I found out later that you can go up the clock tower if you reserved in advance. I'm putting it on my list of places to visit/re-visit. 

The Entrance to the Basilica di San Marco. 

When I first started to research this trip, I was worried that I would not be able to find the Basilica or the Doge's Palace. Looking back, it sounds unbelievably silly.

The Rialto Bridge, once again.

 The view from the Rialto Bridge.

The Rialto Market

As you can probably tell from the picture, it was starting to rain. We made a mad scramble for the nearest water bus and returned to our hotel. A short nap later, I was ready to get out there and experience Venice at night.

We had dinner at a restaurant close by as recommended by the hotel reception desk. The restaurant advertised authentic Venetian cuisine but honestly, it was not very good (the risotto was good but the fish was definitely not). A complete tourist trap. This is why we ended up having pizza (which was delicious btw) at a place recommended by TripAdvisor the next night.

Venice at dusk. 

Breathtaking.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful city! I think my favourite shot is Venice at dusk :).

    ReplyDelete