Monday, June 25, 2012

Montreal: City of Poutines and Cobblestones

My dad had a mini-reunion with his elementary school chums in Montreal last weekend. Thanks to good ol' internet, they started to reconnect after more than five decades. Can you believe that?

I tagged along as the official holder of the hotel reservation (since my credit card has the lowest credit limit. Thus, if any identity theft occurred, the damage would be minimal, or so my family tells me. Yay me and my low credit!!!...?!?) and semi-translator.

My sole responsibility: safely deliver my parents to the agreed-upon meeting place on the agreed-upon time to meet up with my dad's schoolmates. The rest of the time I was free to do as I will. Both parties agreed to the terms.

I've been to Montreal a few times (twice with bus tours, which is two times too many) but never BEEN to Montreal. This was my chance to really check out the city.

The Plan:
  1. Try a Schwartz's smoked meat sandwich
  2. Buy some Fairmount bagels
  3. Do a self-guided tour of Old Montreal and check out The Sir George-Étienne Cartier National Historic Site
  4. Ride a Bixi Bike
  5. Maybe visit the Montreal Botanical Garden 
And last but certainly not very least...

     6. Have a poutine at La Banquise. Supposedly the BEST poutine in Montreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment