Saturday, January 23, 2016

2015.05.11 Coliseum+Roman Forum Revisited (Rome, Italy)

The day started early. We took the very convenient and very economical ORLY bus, which took us straight from the Denfert-Rochereau station to the ORLY airport. This just re-affirms my love for the Paris public transportation system.

[Sidenote: I also love how the French begins all interactions with "bonjour", whether it's a friend or a bus driver. It's one of those practices that makes you feel good inside. North Americans appear so much more abrupt, in comparison.]

And from the Fiumicino airport, we took the TAM bus, which cost only a fraction of the Leonardo Express train. Plus, the bus drove by the Coliseum, a great welcoming sign that we've officially entered the Eternal City.
After dropping off our luggage, we wasted no time and headed straight for the Coliseum.

It was impressive as ever and as crowded as I remember.

The temporary exhibition displays were great, much better than I remember.  

A whole exhibition section was dedicated to the exotic animals used in Coliseum, including animal skulls that archaeologists had excavated.

I particularly enjoyed these new artist's renditions of how the Coliseum operated.

These cobblestones make me feel like a kid again. As if I'm walking on large, black bubbles. I wonder if Roman kids play hopscotch on them. Should be great fun.

Walking the Via Sacra

Since the Roman Forum is a revisit, I won't write too much about it, because it'd just be a rehash of the post from my previous visit. If you're interested, check it out here. So just sit back, relax, and enjoy the photos. (A lot of the photos between the two posts are eerily similar).

Thoughts on the Roman Forum: 

Over all, the Roman Forum has pretty much remained the same, but somehow the awe factor has diminished somewhat from my previous visit. Maybe it's just me, having become more jaded.

I did notice that the Forum has been completely cleared of the marble fragments that used to litter the paths and better signage is now available. Access seemed more limited than before; we could not walk in the Atrium of the House of the Vestal Virgins and had to admire it from outside a fence. I hope it is just temporary because I have really fond memories of walking through the atrium and admiring the row of Vestal Virgin statues.

Lunch: McDonald's (I know, I know, but we were in a rush.)
Dinner: Carrefour

No comments:

Post a Comment