Friday, December 27, 2013

2012 Hawaii: A Postscript

Last post of 2013! 

Thanks to my brother's GPS camera, we had very detailed records of our daily treks. 

O'ahu
Even though the map makes it seem like we traveled all over the island, there are still so many places left unexplored on O'ahu.

For example, the northeast corner, Kailua, boasts one of the most pristine beaches on the island - white sandy beach that seemingly stretch forever.


Hawaii
The Big Island is called big for a reason.
My list for next visit:
- Honaunau Bay/Two-step beach: really wonderful snorkeling spot with frequent dolphin sightings/encounters
- Pu’u Honua O Honaunau National Historic Park ("City of Refuge"): sacred ground used as sanctuary. Amazing-looking statues
- Captain Cook Monument: gotta pay respect to this great explorer
- See a nene, a distant Hawaiian relative of the Canadian goose

Did I mention that the State of Hawaii has at least three other islands (out of the eight "main" islands) to explore?


I saw and experienced some amazing things on this trip, things I will remember for the rest of my life.

I've also never been so physically exhausted from a trip but it really was all worth it (my shoes, on the other hand, did not fare so well). And I owe it all to my amazing brother and his amazing friends.

And thanks bro, for not complaining too much about having to subsist on granola bars for dinner far too many times.

Thanks for the memories, Hawaii!

2 comments:

  1. Do you have to buy new shoes? I guess you might anyway since you guys are going to do all those freaking marathons next year.

    Happy 2014! See you soon (but not in a creepy way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes were surprisingly resilient to all the abuse. I still wear them - I figure there's still a good year or so left in them.

      Happy 2014 to you too!

      Delete