Monday, November 26, 2012

9.05.2012 Kusadasi, Turkey (Part 2)

Basilica of St. John
An important historical site marking the early spread of Christianity. 

It is the tomb of St. John, one of Jesus' apostles.




Tomb of St. John

Baptism Pool

Kusadasi Bazaar
A great place to shop if you like jewelry and carpets. Anything else? Not so much. I was really hoping to find some locally-made scarves but most of the scarves I saw were made elsewhere. Apologies for the lack of photos - I didn't have much time to myself.

A lovely fountain. What's more interesting is the statue of Saint Nicholas in the background (Did you know that Saint Nicholas was born in Turkey?)
I really enjoy finding things like these on trips: the nazars (eye-shaped charms to ward off the evil eye) embedded in the street pavement and the tiled fountain right in the middle of the bazaar. I just find them incredibly charming.

People lining up at the ATM. I don't believe I've ever seen so many people waiting to withdraw money.

The streets and alleys of the bazaar. Next time, I'm definitely going to explore the entire bazaar and then some.

The Kaleici Mosque has such unique architecture. A definite departure from the Venetian, Croatian, and Grecian buildings I had seen so far. I especially love the minaret, which you can see from a mile away.

No comments:

Post a Comment