Friday, April 1, 2011

Packing and Pepper Pork Buns

Packing is progressing slowly. I'll admit, there were a few moments of weakness and self-doubt when the state of my sanity was seriously questioned, but that happens to everyone once in a while right? (At one point, I could have swore the amount of stuff to be sorted/packed was multiplying in spite of all the packing action.)

So far, we've filled about 6-7 large plastic bins of items we plan to keep and tossed/donated about the same amount of stuff. I figure 2-3 more days....?

Lesson from this? Buy less or you'll regret it when you move.

There's a great pepper pork bun (胡椒餅) place in the neighbourhood. I was there bright and early 10:30 am (they don't open until 11 am) and there was already 2 other customers waiting there. By the time the first batch was ready, 4-5 people were standing behind me. The buns are cooked in these special coal kilns. The coals are in the centre of the kiln and the buns are stuck by hand on the walls of the kiln. I could feel the radiating heat standing about half a meter away. I don't know how the vendor sticks his hand in the kiln and not get burnt. I bought 10 (buy 10, get 1 free) and polished off 3 within the first hour. I had two more for breakfast the next day and another two the next day. It is seriously THAT good. What's even better is that the vendor has thoughtfully provided re-heating instructions, which when followed produces the bun as if it's fresh from the kiln. :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment